Pulteney Distillery

Pulteney Distillery is the most northerly distillery on the Scottish mainland, situated in the fishing port of Wick. Established in 1826 by Mr. James Henderson it was located to allow the whisky produced to be easily transported by sea, the only means available at this time to reach the main consumers in the provincial towns of Scotland.

The distillery remained in the possession of the Henderson family until 1920, when it was sold to James Watson & Son who in turn were taken over by John Dewar & son. DCL purchased the distillery in 1925 only to cease production in 1930, in 1955 Robert Cumming purchased the distillery from DCL. This gave him two distilleries, Pulteney and Balblair, both now owned by Inver House Distillers.